Sing it with us, “It’s the holiday season…” We don’t know about you, but we love a good carol or two! And, can you believe it? December is here, Seasiders! How have we already wound up in the final month of 2021? It’s been an incredible year in #TheCityByTheSea. New businesses have opened, old favourites have expanded, and we’ve got so many places to eat your plate is always bound to be full!
There’s no doubt that the holiday season seems to mark a shift in the atmosphere. It’s the season of giving, as it were. Twinkly lights, upbeat songs, and communities and individuals are even more willing to chip in and show appreciation for their loved ones, local charities and local shops. Mix in the COVID-19 pandemic and Islanders across P.E.I. feel the importance ever more of supporting small, local businesses.
So, wait no longer; we’ve got a ton of ideas for you on how you can Say It With Local and spread the cheer and good energy of the season!
For The Home Decor Lover
We’ve got just the shop, in fact, it’s in the name. Home By Caley Joy is the perfect spot to shop for someone who loves curated items that can inspire and fill the home. From her own art photography prints to hand-poured candles, Caley has gathered the perfect collection of all kinds of goodies. She’s even launched a variety of holiday boxes and custom sweaters with cute sayings that will surely make you feel merry and bright this season! Don’t miss all the cool things! Head to HOME By Caley Joy!
Here are some ideas:
- By Caley Joy candles: Part of her own line of goods, Caley and her team have created a range of hand-poured candles with a scent for every occasion.
- Baby and Kid goods: With a curated collection of goodies for the newest additions to some fun toys, you can pick something up for the little one in your life too!
- Holiday Boxes: Can’t quite decide? Check out the variety of holiday boxes Caley and the team have put together to help you out!
Have a pottery lover in the family? Don’t miss heading to Island Stoneware for handmade and intricately designed pieces from mugs to bowl to casserole dishes! Gift a piece of P.E.I with their Island collection which, after the firing magic is complete, features our iconic red sand island surrounded by blue and white glazed water. Don’t miss their
- Deep baking plate (great for pies!)
- Mixing bowl set
- Garlic keeper
- Wine cooler
Find the perfect piece of PEI pottery here!
For the Sports and Entertainment Lover
Have a hockey nut in your life? Why not get them a tournament voucher for the Fred Page Cup! The annual hockey tournament is being held at Credit Union Place next year. The Summerside Western Capitals take on some of the best teams in Eastern Canada. When you purchase the tournament voucher, you’ll receive a commemorative ticket and a custom Fred Page Cup ministick (a great item so the fun can be had by all ages)! The voucher will be redeemable for a tournament pass – so you won’t have to miss a game! The Fred Page Cup isn’t the only extraordinary event coming to Credit Union Place either. Just a few short weeks after the hockey tournament, Jann Arden will take the stage! AND before all that, Blue Rodeo is also set to perform their Many a Mile tour on March 25! It’s the first show the facility will have since the pandemic hit! And we hear it’s going to be a good one! You can get your tickets here.
For the Coffee and Tea Lover
Is there a more iconic place to get your favourite brew than Samuel’s Coffee House? The cafe, which recently celebrated its 10th year in business, features a variety of blends and brews! Light, medium, and dark roast, you name it, they’ll be able to recommend one for you! They’ve also got some serious swag! Toques, ball caps, cups and sweaters are just a few things you can take home that will make you feel like a part of the ‘brew crew’. Samuel’s is also home to an in-house tea company, SipT. There’s a variety of blends from black to herbal, to oolong, to green. A favourite is the SipT Cozy Kits. Each kit features a tea, a handmade pottery mug by Red Rocks Pottery, and a MacAusland’s Woolen Mill lap/shoulder shawl. It’s bound to keep you cozy all winter! Cozy Kits are currently available on pre-sale until Dec. 5, and then will be available for order online at www.getsipping.ca!
Here’s what’s on our list:
- The perfect coffee/tea mug
- SipT Cozy Kit (duh!)
- A pack of their trail mix to keep the munchies at bay
- Grady Bean coffee – Inspired by beloved coworker Josh, 100% of the profits from each bag will be donated to a local organization of his family’s choice.
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie (they’re $35 and available for pick-up downtown or at the drive-through! You can order them at order.samuelscoffeehouse.ca!
For the Clothing and Accessories Lover
From sweaters to skirts to your next favourite handbag, Little Black Dress has it for you! The local consignment clothing store features an array of items in women’s and men’s sections.
How to add a touch of fashion with your gifts:
- A new coat
- A stylish scarf
- A classy tie for the ultimate businessman
- Your new favourite handbag
Find your fun holiday look with LBD at thelittleblackdressco.com.
For the One Who Needs Pampering
Hit the spa or the barbershop for some TLC and have a moment to yourself! At Mint Spa, you can get everything from a facial to teeth whitening, manicure, and massage. They also stock a number of products in-store so you can gift pampering at home too! Book your treatment here!
If that’s not their style, try booking them a session at the Humble Barber where they can hang out with the cool gang at the shop, get a fresh look and even luxuriate with the whole package of a hair and beard trim or hot towel shave! Make the appointment for them by visiting humblebarber.com.
For the Food Lover
Now it might be hard to get takeaway during the busy holidays, but you can certainly buy loved ones a gift card to their favourite restaurant! With the bustling restaurant scene in Summerside, there’s something for every tastebud! Some of them even have a few other items you can pick up, like some Island-made goodies at Holman’s Ice Cream Parlour, to house-made ales, IPAs, and stouts at Evermoore Brewing Company!
Here’s what’s on our list:
- Brothers 2: Don’t miss wing night or live entertainment this winter!
- Holman’s Ice Cream Parlour: Treat your friend or family member to ice cream, waffles, hot drinks and more!
- Evermoore Brewing Co.: Pick up a pack of their newly canned Sammy’s Stout or some merch (they’ve got caps, stickers, sweaters and shirts!) It also makes for a great date night location!
- Yumi Sushi: Try a delicacy and head to Yumi Sushi. Their menu is extensive, and it’s full of delicious dishes!
So, how’d we do? How do you plan to Say It With Local this holiday season? Let us know what Summerside spot you’re going to drop by. We can’t wait to hear about the treasures you’ve found!